Saturday, February 28, 2015

The Sword of Damocles - in the form of icicles

An upswing in temperatures to a 'balmy' 20F finally got me into the saddle again. The sun was shining through the arena windows, I shed my coat, all was well... until Judy mentioned cautiously "Well, the last icicle crashed down 40 minutes ago". I looked up at the line of windows, and detected a row of HUGE icicles, obviously just waiting to crash down while Remy and I were doing our thing.

Remy doesn't handle sudden noises well, which translates into yours truly not doing well either. But giving up with the (figurative) tail between the legs because of icicles when I finally have a chance to ride again? No way!

The challenge was to RELAX, relax my seat, relax my hands, relax my mind (I thought I heard my Yoga-teacher)... and not to worry "What If". I felt like riding with the sword of Damocles hanging over my head.

Surprisingly though, I was able to relax and Remy really helped me out by strutting his stuff without worries - obviously he hadn't spotted the icicles! Remy felt awesome, soft, and truly on the outside rein. We had some really good canter work, doing transitions within the canter, and canter-walk, keeping in mind "He should not anticipate a walk transition every time you do collected canter". Yes, ma'am! Another one of Judy's "right on" comments: "In the canter, the outside leg keeps him going, the inside leg carries the weight".

So, all was well - especially considering that the Sword of Damocles* stayed put!


*Sword of Damocles[Wikipedia)
According to the story, pandering to his king, Dionysius, Damocles exclaimed that, as a great man of power and authority surrounded by magnificence, Dionysius was truly extremely fortunate. Dionysius then offered to switch places with Damocles, so that Damocles could taste that very fortune firsthand. Damocles quickly and eagerly accepted the king's proposal. Damocles sat down in the king's throne surrounded by every luxury, but Dionysius arranged that a huge sword should hang above the throne, held at the pommel only by a single hair of a horse's tail. Damocles finally begged the king that he be allowed to depart because he no longer wanted to be so fortunate, realizing that with great fortune and power comes also great responsibility

No comments:

Post a Comment