Wednesday, February 21, 2018

A 'bitchy' lesson - I was on the wrong foot before I started

Ah, well, the ups and downs of riding. Today's lesson is best shelved under 'sucked but I know why (mostly)'.

When I got to the barn one look at Remy's stall and my mood already plummeted, it was just disgusting. Plucking out a muddy Remy from the pasture was easy, as it was time for his lunch. Alas, no lunch? I hurriedly scooped something together so he could eat before our lesson. Heaven forbid, the kid would have to work 'le ventre vide' (on an empty stomach). I know you can't expect the same horsekeeping standards as at home and I've been spoiled by the best barn manager ever: JP!

So my mind wasn't really in the game when I started, and sure enough nothing seemed to go right. Our changes went from late to worse. In hindsight, I should not have continued to try doing the changes, it would have been way better to regroup and do other exercises to get Remy better off my left leg (like turns on the forehand). My bad. I was able to finish with some decent trot work, but as a whole it left me pretty frustrated.

Luckily, Remy is easy to cheer up: All it takes is a bucket full of soaked hay cubes topped with some extra large carrots and life is good (again). As for me, I had to prematurely kill a chocolate Easter bunny and top it off with red wine. Hay cubes and carrots sure would have been the healthier choice - obviously the Happy Vegan Couple didn't entirely 'convert' me.

No comments:

Post a Comment