Saturday, February 17, 2018

Repurposing myself - and OMG, I don't know much!

The Purpose Driven Life is the title of a book (I haven't read). It came to mind after I had lunch with Bill, one of my favorite people from my 'former life'. Bill is one of the managers I mentored in my position as VP in the automotive industry. Bill is bright, energetic, and just an all around good guy. He and Mike (another manager that reported to me) are now sharing my former job.

Bill mentioned that I prepared him so well for his promotion that he had no problems jumping in and doing the job. That made me happy because it meant I succeeded. I always saw my main purpose as a leader to give everyone in my team the mentoring, tools and opportunities for growth.

So now, without a corporate job, I have to reassess my purpose - or 'repurposing' if you will. It's not me to just sit back and relax, I do need challenges and yes, the ups and downs that come with them.

Enter the Masterson Method (MM). I am defining my purpose as helping horses through bodywork so they can do their jobs without restrictions, and therefore improve the relationships with their riders (hopefully!) . At the same time, I will use the knowledge to help the Detroit Horse Power students to connect better with the horses.

Before I can 'repurpose' myself, the MM people have created a few hurdles, and these are not cross rail size. The entry exam for the field work felt like I was jumping a course of at least 3.6" - or trying to ride a FEI test on a Third Level horse. Should have paid more attention in those Latin language classes long ago. "Ave Cesar, nos morituri te salutamus"* won't help.

Time to crack the books: 'The Horse Anatomy Workbook', 'The Horse's Muscles in Motion', 'Anatomy for Performance' ... Looks like 'The Purpose Driven Life' has to wait!

*Roman gladiator greeting "Hail Cesar, we who are about to die salute you"

No comments:

Post a Comment