Saturday, February 3, 2018

An awesome week - despite heatstroke and some brain fog

The week of advanced Masterson Method training was a great experience. Starting with my first Airbnb stay ever, I lucked out with my hosts Denise and Georgie. They are devoted Vegans and have a cooking show called "The Happy Vegan Couple". Super nice and interesting people. Georgie made me breakfast every morning and Denise took me hiking yesterday to see the sunset in the desert.

My five fellow students turned out to be very interesting women: Cassie from Nevada, Kim from Wisconsin,  Ceiridwin from Oregon, Sarah from Minnesota and Trish from Maryland. Trish and I were the only 'corporate types' all others are already practicing equine sports massage. The instructors Vanessa (lead), Allie and Yvonne (assistants) were super; knowledgeable, positive, always there to help and cheer on.

What I hadn't counted on that all the work was done outdoors. Barns in Arizona differ from Michigan in that usually the horses have a stall/paddock combination, and in order to have space around the horses we took them to the paddocks. Well, over 80F and sunshine got to me -as well as not drinking enough- and I ended up with heatstroke on Wednesday, vomiting and nausea kept me from class. I tried to study in my room and Georgie plied me with ginger tea. Thursday I had to catch up, and Yvonne expertly coached me through all the techniques. My head was spinning and I felt am case of "brain fog" coming on. Which technique is for evaluation, which for bodywork?? Facing back or front when doing lateral cervical flexion/front leg back?? Danke, Yvonne, for not losing your patience!

After class on Thursday we headed to the Saguaro National Park for a trail ride that Cassie had arranged for us. It was fun, and my QH/Draft mix "Old Fellow" safely carried me up and down steep and narrow paths, keeping us away from the cacti.



Yesterday it finally clicked for me and things came together during practice. Allie was super helping me getting a very stiff and stoic Haflinger mare more soft and supple. It is so cool to see the improvement in the horses and I can't wait to practice at home.

Speaking of practice at home... I should find a way to take the horses into our sauna...it's 10F in Michigan - a 'slight' difference in temps of 70F!

Off to Minneapolis and then on to Detroit. Delta didn't endear itself to me, they messed up my reservation and I am now in the back of both buses, with my carry on bag checked. JP promised to set the alarm as I'll get in around midnight. 

Remy had school all week and Judy kept me abreast of the work, I was happy to learn that all my boys (JP and Chambord had a lesson) were good students. Despite the Arctic temps I am excited to go home.. But I am planning to get back to Arizona in April for a program on therapy horses - remembering to drink plenty of water!














No comments:

Post a Comment