Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Settling into life in Welly-World - and hoping for smooth sailing now

It's been busy since I've been back. First order of business upon my return was a visit to the dentist to get the cracked tooth fixed. The dental office was not what I expected, in fact, I was about to high tail out of there toute de suite. Roz had a good analogy, picture the retirement community from Seinfeld's parents in Boca... I was about 40 years younger and the only one without walker in the waiting room. Everything seemed to be a far cry from my dentist in MI (no high tech xray, no 3D in house crowns, no gas, and certainly no head phones, TV or massage chairs), but low and behold  it turned out the dentist was very nice and knowledgeable, as was his technician that did the temporary crown. We'll see in about two weeks how the final product will turn out.

Remy had made a ton of progress in the time I was gone, and he is really on a good path now (knock on wood!). Of course, he had to throw a shoe while playing in the paddock, but luckily he had an appointment anyway today. My 'proud mother's' chest swelled quite a bit (it can really use some swelling LOL) when James (the farrier) told me that Remy's feet are textbook healthy and solid - and James shoes the horses on the Olympic teams.

So now we have established a certain routine:
I get to the barn around 6:45 a.m., feed Remy and turn him out while I clean his stall. My lesson is at 8:30 a.m., and Remy gets turned out again after that. I clean tack etc., then he comes in for lunch. I'll try to grab some lunch also, and in the afternoon I either work on client horses or go to educational events. Late afternoon Remy gets hand-walked and grazed, then it's dinner for both of us. There is a very nice group of people at the barn, so sometimes we go out to dinner together. I watch some Netflix (stuck on BBC's Father Brown right now), and then do night check around 9 p.m.

Quite a workout pushing a full wheel-barrow up the ramp. Call me Popeye!
It's amazing how much time you can spend just taking care of one horse! At the barn only Savannah and I do self-care, the others use a stall-cleaning and feeding service. While that gives one more freedom, I do enjoy taking care of Remy (and I'm used to it anyway) - and I try to remember that JP wants Remy to have a fluffy bed!

Who needs Instagram followers when you can have real ones?


No comments:

Post a Comment