Sunday, February 9, 2020

The boxes are packed - and looking forward to taking a step back in time

We've made great progress packing Mutti's belongings into boxes. It is hard for her, as there is considerable downsizing involved. What makes it even more difficult is that her new furniture is still four weeks out, so we have to find ways to make the new apartment appealing and 'livable'. Tomorrow Remy and I will go to Ikea to get some things for the interim.

I picked a few momentos that Stephanie will ship to me. My dad's diploma, a few Steiff-Tiere (plush animals), one is a Lion that is over 70 years old, a few books - that's it. I am focusing on the task at Hand - organizing and packing- so I haven't had time to really digest it all. At night I am "mausheh" (totally exhausted), and VERY grateful to have my retreat with Stephanie and Harald.

Today I am taking Mutti on a trip to the Black Forest while Michael and Remy move the boxes from the house to the apartment. Remy is in charge of the estate sale, or better, donation. He found someone that would take the hunting trophies for a museum. That is the best possible outcome, we didn't want to have to throw Emil's prized possessions in the dumpster, because there is no market for these things.

Emil's Office

Just a small selection -
Tuesday is the Leonberger Pferdemarkt, this year is the 329th year! Horses and ponies are still sold on the medieval market place, there is a Kraemermarkt (small stands lining the roads) where one can find anything from underwear to horse brushes. It was always one of the hightlights of my childhood and I am looking forward to taking a step back in time.
Announcement in the local paper
The word 'Sattelfescht' has two meanings: Being a good rider, and a (saddle) party :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment