Tuesday, July 1, 2014

There is a silver lining - and I do have some gripes

My new nickname has become  "Hoppalong"  (thanks, Jude, as always you are right on :-)) because that pretty much describes how I move. So today I hopped through the barn, annoying JP with all my unsolicited advise on how to groom and tack up Remy for Judy.

It's great to  be able to observe how Judy trains Remy. I'm a visual person and it helps me a lot to  have the correct picture in my minds eye (i.e. "He's in front of her leg, but I don't see any visible aids, this is how it should look like!"). Judy has Remy working on 2nd level exercises, like walk-canter, shoulder-in, haunches-in. The 'skipping' into the canter has stopped, and yay - Remy did some baby-half-passes today. Looking good, guys and girls! :-) This is the silver lining around the cloud of having a fractured leg: My horse is receiving the best training there is, and eventually I'll benefit from it.

Just the other day I was a bit morose and said to Judy that I should have just done what some of her other clients did - buying a FEI schoolmaster and enjoying the ride without worries about all the young horse stuff. Judy's levelheaded response "You don't need a schoolmaster, I'll help you train Remy and there you go!". That made my day!

Getting the gripes off my chest:
 (1) To the helmet manufacturer. You tout your accident replacement program, but when I filed the claim your rep told me that  I'm a few days over the three year period, hence, no dice. Come on, really? Yes, you produce wonderful helmets, and I am VERY grateful that my head is fine. But with a  bit of good will you could have gotten great publicity and kept a  repeat customer.

(2) To the strangers inquiring about my leg/air cast: Dear Stranger, I appreciate your concern, less so the curiosity, but OK, I'll tell you it was a riding accident. Be aware, though, the next person that says "Oh, like Christopher Reeve" will get hit over the head with my crutches!

Ah, now I do feel better! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment