Thursday, January 11, 2018

A mixed week - both riding and weather wise

It's been a week of ups and downs, both for riding and the weather. Remy and I started the week with a good ride on Monday, had a major slump on Tuesday, and today we worked our way up again. Of course, today we benefited from Judy's ride on Remy yesterday. She even got solid 4s (tempis = fliegende Galoppwechsel).

The weather is following about the same blueprint, without the benefit of a 'Judy-fix' mid-week. We went from deep freeze to today's 55F and are now looking forward to ice tomorrow and a weekend in the deep freeze again.

Luckily, our riding was not at all that extreme. The slump on Tuesday was due to me not having Remy in front of my leg. Thus the half-halts didn't go through and everything was labored and no fun for anyone involved. I missed setting the tone in the beginning, and we went downhill from there. Nothing bad happened, don't get me wrong, just me getting frustrated with myself when I'm not living up to my standards. OK, that's something I am darn good at: Beating myself up.

Today Remy and I were back in business (thanks, Jude!), and with the help of the copious usage of half-halts and transitions we were humming along in the fog just fine. Yes, we had such high humidity that the arena reminded me of foggy days in London.

BTW, in German we call it "durchwachsen" when there are good and not so good parts. And actually, if you are a meat eater you like your steak "durchwachsen" - it means there is some fat in it to make it juicy. I'm a vegetarian, so don't take my word for it :-) What I know, though, is that it's good to have the mixed experiences. How to grow if everything is only ever going swimmingly? It's the low points that force us to work on issues and thus make us improve. We need the fat to keep things juicy!

At least that applies to riding. As for the weather - I could live without outdoing Alaska and Arizona in the same week.

Image may contain: text and outdoor

No comments:

Post a Comment