Monday, January 8, 2018

In need of a pony tail holder - and not bad for five days off

Finally - a break in the weather! I plowed through the snow slush and wondered during the drive how Remy would be after five days of only hand walking and ground work.

First things first: A good grooming session, now that we don't have to fear frostbite on exposed skin. I also always take great care to pick shavings by hand out of the tail. Remy has a very thick and luscious tail - so imagine my horror when I discovered large strands being chewed off! Clearly, one of his pasture mates is bored. Aargh! What to do?? "No Chew? Well, that product is for fences and not for tails. Tabasco? Cayenne pepper? I'll try braiding the tail first, hoping that it will make it less enticing to be chewed on. If that doesn't help on goes the tail bag. I don't like those things, but hey, if it can save the tail, so be it.

Riding wise Remy had a pleasant surprise in store for me, we basically continued where we had left off last week. Five days off - and he went back to work without any funny shenanigans, supple and responsive (after he threw in his usual "are you sure??"). We nailed a flying change on the first try, and it even was to Judy's liking. Yes, ma'am! I think I am figuring out how to be more precise with my aids and the kind of canter quality we need before attempting a change.

I took my sweaty self to the local pharmacy to buy pony tail holders. The clerk took a double take checking out my short cropped hair, probably wondering what exactly I was planning to braid..

No comments:

Post a Comment