Friday, January 5, 2018

What's a "grounded" rider to do? - And the first compliment of the year

We never got above 3F today. Yesterday wasn't much better and tomorrow doesn't look good, either. What's a "grounded" rider to do?

Well, there are plenty of other things to do. Usually I do the bare minimum of ground work before getting on (yielding the hind quarters, checking the whoa, backing). As we are relegated to hand walking this presents a great opportunity to revisit groundwork more, drawing on horsemanship clinics from long ago. "How fast can you go? How slow can you go? Does he stay with you? Can you back in a circle? Do you control his feet?"

Remy was game for it and we spend an enjoyable time together in the indoor arena, cold be damned. We even trotted and cantered over cavalettis - needless to say, his form was much better than mine. The afternoon finished with Remy happily chowing down hay cubes soaked in hot water (yummy, he says) and me appreciating my ride home on a heated seat while unthawing my hands on the heated steering wheel.

While I was getting ready to leave the house earlier today I complained to JP that I looked like the Michelin Man wearing several polarfleece layers plus snow pants, down vest and snow jacket.


Wouldn't you know it, it earned me the first compliment of the year (after all, it's January 5): JP noted that "even with all these layers you don't look chubby". Well, then, take this, Michelin Man - thanks, JP!

No comments:

Post a Comment