Wednesday, March 21, 2018

He's no Ferrari - and it seems counting is the way to go

Judy rode Remy so I could see how she approaches the changes with him. Of course, he can do threes with her, while the singles are hit and miss with me. Before Judy got on Remy I watched her ride another training horse. It was like seeing a Ferrari at work, ready to hit the Francorchamps* track. Yes, I had to admit I let out a sigh, not out of envy, but the realization hit me that even with all the training in the world Remy and I will never be the Ferraris, we are the Volkswagens in comparison - but hey, at least we are the GTI (turbo) version.

I always wondered if it would have helped me having a schoolmaster that could let me feel how it should be - but alas, that's not in the cards either. I came across an interview with Kyra Kirklund about training tips, and number 7 was right on:

"I have had to work to get flying changes because I didn't have a schoolmaster when I was learning. I count the steps: 1, 2, 3. Here is what I do:
- I check that my horse is listening to me by doing a big half halt. If he is not listening I don't ask for the change until he is sharper.
- I take my new outside leg back
- I ask for the change"

 Now at least I now I am in good company - I have been counting all along: Eins, zwei, drei...und hop. I think the step I've been missing is that Remy is not sharp enough (we've been struggling with that all along).

Last but not least I will have to tattoo her number 1 in my brain:

A good rider lives on the small number of good steps and he builds on them. He forgets about the bad things. 


*The Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps motor-racing circuit is the venue of the Formula One Belgian Grand Prix, and of the Spa 24 Hours and 1000 km Spa endurance races

No comments:

Post a Comment