Monday, February 4, 2019

Breakfast with Faisal and Angelina - and training has commenced

I am clearly living in a horse-household: By 5:30 I can smell coffee and hear humans, dogs, cats, and horses coming alive. Today was extra early: Paulette and her daughter Madeleine headed to Miami, so my breakfast company was Faisal (a beautiful black cat) and Angelina (a German shepherd). Both not only have good manners, they have also perfected the pleading looks towards my plate ("Say, do you need to eat all this? We do love PBJ!").

We are officially on a training schedule now. As we are still settling in Roz helped us with longing. White Fences has a beautiful area for longing, it's called a Round Pen but it's much larger, and has great footing. Remy did well, and I was happy that Roz corrected my sloppy habits. I tend to go with Remy, instead of him adjusting to me and work around me. We had some really nice trot and canter work. After that he got to go back to the "scary paddock", and low and behold, Remy settled right in. He would trot around from time to time, and when he was bored he started to canter. Vivien said "his quarter is up*". So he got a good hosing down, and then lunch in his room with attached turnout. He likes that because he can visit with Sally's Andalusian that has the box next to him.
"Hey, what's going on?"


"Anything good to eat here?"

Finding my marks around here is getting some used to, but between Google maps and my Navi I am finding the important places, such as the feed store. As we do self-care I had to arrange for hay today. They can't deliver until tomorrow, so I thought I'll take two bales in my car. Well, I have to admit, my trunk only has room for one. These are nice big bales of Timothy hay, and I only swallowed hard once when I forked over $179 for 10 bales of hay.

BTW, kudos to JP and our friend Ed: They delivered Remy to a barn where Jan was picking up horses to take to Ocala. Jan commented on how nice they guys are and how very impressed she was with seeing them handling Remy, saying "I don't know many women that would trust their husbands with their horse".  I do trust JP! - but it never hurts to leave lots of instructions... in the hopes that they will actually be read...

"She's watching, good thing my quarter isn't up yet*"

*This comes from the mechanical horses outside grocery stores. Put a quarter in and the horse moves and the kids have fun. When "the quarter is up" the money has run out thus the fun ends.  

No comments:

Post a Comment