Friday, February 1, 2019

Running away from the polar vortex - and ready for the "Great Florida Adventure"

As most everyone has heard, the Polar Vortex has hit hard. Originally Ellen and I had planned to leave on Tuesday, but a snow storm on Monday put the brakes on that. Not just the snow in Michigan, but the FC also predicted snow and ice as south far as Atlanta, Georgia.

Wednesday we hit the road, in no less than -40F wind chill. I had a hard time keeping my GTI on the straight and narrow crossing the plains of Ohio. Luckily it was only cold, the roads were fine. Big sigh of relief - I had fretted over having car issues and pictured us freezing to death at the edge of the road (yeah, my brain always goes for 'worst case'). Luckily, we had a fairly uneventful drive. I've never driven farther south than Kentucky, so Note to Self: Cross Tennessee only in day time, and then preferably always make sure there is lots of gas in the tank, and your bladder is empty. Not many places to stop, and some of the mountain villages bring to mind "Deliverance". We were happy to see the "Georgia On My Mind" sign. Atlanta traffic was not as bad as expected, mainly because we got there after rush hour. Still, not what one would call 'fluid'. We sure were happy to get to the hotel after 14 hours on the road.

Yesterday started well enough through Georgia, but then we got stuck due to a huge traffic accident. What to do? Believe Navi or Waze or Google?? We stuck to I-75 and got late into Estero (my drop off point for Ellen). I was done, literally, and still had to find a hotel. Well, finding one wasn't the challenge - finding a room was. I must have looked pretty miserable because the clerk said "Oh miss, please don't cry" and then he handed me tissues when he broke the news that I had to get back on the freeway and drive some more.  Finally made it, and then hit the road again this morning, heading straight across Florida to the East Coast and 'Welly-Land' (Wellington).



I am staying with a friend of a friend. Paulette and her husband Jose own a farm in Wellington and have mainly jumpers. I might have escaped Michigan but I am still in a French environment: Paulette and Jose speak French with me. Too bad JP stayed home, he would have loved meeting them.

Roz met me at White Fences and showed me where Remy will be staying. It's a very nice set up in a courtyard. There is a grassy paddock attached to his stall in addition to other turnout areas. Nice arenas, round pen, exercise hill, room to hack around. It's a very active place, this weekend for example they are running a dressage show. Remy will have lots of things to see (and hopefully do only the ones I am asking for!)

JP delivered Remy, his mountain of luggage, and hay today to a farm where Jan was picking up other traveling horses. JP said Remy went on the rig like a pro, but he was mainly impressed by the professionalism of Jan. Jan is the owner of the transport company and also the driver. Hopefully the trip will go smoothly without major traffic snafus. Note to Remy: A fluffy bed, lots of carrots, and a personal butler -yours truly- are waiting for you!

Remy and Jan getting ready for the long trip

No comments:

Post a Comment