Wednesday, January 22, 2020

We made it - I was lucky, Remy not so much

It was a very long drive, 1400 (approx. 2,253 km) miles driving South, with just myself as company. Most of the time I'm perfectly fine by myself, but I have to admit it was getting lonely. I kept myself entertained with noticing the sometimes strange names of towns and exits, and wondered how they came about, i.e. Stinky Creek Road (well, that's easy to figure out), but what about Montezuma and Eldorado? I stopped for lunch on Battlefield Boulevard in Georgia.

I saw this T-shirt at a gas station in KY and had to have it :-)
The longest day was Monday, from Kentucky to Georgia. The snow and cold was with me the entire time. While driving through the Appalachian Mountains towards the Great Smoky Mountain area I thought about the book I recently read "The Giver of Stars" by JoJo Moyes. It's based on a true story of women in the depression area in KY that delivered books to remote locations (Deliverance comes to mind) on horseback. This was called "The Packhorse Library". I highly recommend the book.

The last leg of the trip was Valdosta, Georgia, to Wellington. I made it around 2 p.m. yesterday, checked out first the barn (of course), and then my home for the next two months. Aimee, my landlady, is lovely, and she is quite the animal lover. Aside from her polo ponies, there are three huskies, a rabbit, a few cats, and Pig Newton and Delilah (the piggies).

Remy was picked up on Monday around 6 p.m., and he arrived today, Wednesday (!) at noon - without having left the truck the entire time! I was about to lose my marbles about this. First they were stuck in the Atlanta traffic, then the Ag Station in Florida had an issue with Remy's paperwork. Apparently the Coggins Test didn't pull up the correct number. So they were held at midnight while the shipper got a hold of our vet at home. After all this I was told Remy would arrive around 5 a.m., then 10:30 a.m., and he finally arrived at noon. Luckily I had a box stall for him, but still -- that is valid ground for great worries.

Remy stepped of the truck seemingly no worse for wear, he drank, ate, and was impatiently asking to be let out. After moving him around to make sure his intestines were working correctly I let him relax and will now go back shortly to check and hand walk him. I'm exhausted, as I haven't slept at all last night, but it all worked out. Whew! Now I can finally find the time to unpack and get hopefully settled a bit.


Happily reunited!



No comments:

Post a Comment