Wednesday, January 1, 2020

A snowy end to 2019 - and he's happy in a frame

Last day of 2019 brought snow and slippery roads, so no trail riding. Our boys are barefoot, which gives good traction on snow, but not on the ice underneath. That didn't prevent them from happily roaming the pastures, and -as usual- being on "Neighborhood Watch" duty.

Neighborhood watch in full force, snow flakes or not!

Neighborhood watch is a good thing, even our safe and somewhat sleepy town of about 17,000 is experiencing more crime, mainly theft out of unlocked cars, but going as far as armed robbery at the local fast food joint. As the owner of the gun store told me "it's the Opioid crisis". Speaking of the gun store, yes, I have signed up for a CPL class next Sunday. Should be interesting. Better not squeeze my eyes shut (which I do at loud noises) when pulling the trigger!

Today we took the boys to Berwyck for a ride in their heated indoor arena. We are so fortunate that we can use this facility! Remy has been very happy in his H/J mode, posting trot, forward, forward, not interfering "Let him go, don't control him so much" (Lisa speaks). Today for the first time in quite a while I rode Remy in a dressage frame, even sitting the trot (how shocking).

To my big surprise Remy enjoyed it. He was soft, supple and what JP calls très léger  -I call bouncy- on his feet. No objection to a bit of collection - which is a good thing as we have to get ready for the next clinic with Laurie. And... perhaps, maybe... the trip to Florida.

Not to digress too much, but again - there is a huge advantage to shopping locally as opposed to ordering online: The interaction and tips from staff and fellow shoppers. I stopped by our tack store yesterday to browse the year end sale and mentioned my conundrum about shipping Remy (last year's shipper does not have any trips in January scheduled). Sure enough, I left the store with the recommendations for two reputable shipping companies (I was not aware of), plus a promise to tell me when the jumpers are shipping so Remy could perhaps hitch a ride with them.

I'm excited for the opportunities 2020 will bring - all 366 of them!









No comments:

Post a Comment