Wednesday, January 29, 2020

You can lead a horse to food - but you can't make it eat

OK, the original saying is "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink" - and in our case: I can't make Remy eat.

Dr. L. came again today with the results of the blood test, and to no surprise Remy's immune system is very compromised, he has an infection, and hind end ulcers. More IV medication, including one that includes Arsenic (!). Overall, Remy seems a bit more chipper, and he drinks a bit and passes manure, but when it comes to food only apples and carrots are somewhat enticing. Hay -either wet or dry, Timothy or Valley Green- holds no interest whatsoever. Same for his pellets. He will nibble a bit of grass but that's it.

Noel gave me some "Slobber Mash" to try, and Remy seemed to like this one. Off I rushed to the feed store to buy a bag, as I thought this would be great to hide the 10 pills in that Remy needs to eat twice a day.  Of course, once I served it from the newly purchased bag Remy walked away from the feed tub. It is so frustrating, I can't explain to him that yes, he needs to eat to get better.

While I can't tell him, I can absolutely relate: When I am stressed the first thing that goes is my appetite. How often did JP lovingly had dinner waiting when I came home late, only to hear me say "sorry, I'm not hungry", and perhaps eat a piece of bread with cheese or nothing at all. So now I understand how JP felt... And actually, all that rushing around and worrying about Remy has the same effect on me - I don't feel like eating much either.

I went to Whole Foods today with the idea of getting some very late lunch - and walked out with a pain au chocolat  (not sure how that jives with the "Whole Food" idea?). Guess what are carrots for Remy is a pain au chocolat for me. Problem is that he can't live on carrots alone - and a pain au chocolat a day won't keep me in shape either.

These two don't have any issues with their appetites, that's for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment