Saturday, July 21, 2012

A perfect start to the day - and too good to be true?

What a great start today, sleeping in until 8 a.m. (!), waking up to perfect weather. We drove the farm pick-up "Old Buddy" to the local diner for breakfast. In order to get into the lovely village we have to go through Kensington, crossing the Huron River, seeing all kinds of wildlife. I felt so good that I even snatched a piece of crispy bacon off JP's plate (I'm a vegetarian). We really have embraced "small town America" and love it. I am thankful every day for the kind of life we are having. And yes, indeed, enough sleep will give you a rosier outlook.

Later today I'll take Saumur and Remy for lessons to Sandy, the boys will have a sleepover at Sandy's. That way JP and I can have dinner with Sandy and Francis, and I'll return for lessons Sunday morning and then take them home.

I'm getting a bit concerned about our combined fitness. Two more weeks until George! His lessons are pretty intense, and they certainly require a good deal of fitness. Actually, the main concern I have is Saumur, he had a pretty laid back time recently. Good thing the boys are keeping themselves  fit with galloping in our rolling pastures.

Last night we took Remy to his saddle-fitting. The place where we met Luanne looks like out of an advertisement "Better Living for Horses". Even the aisles are covered in springy rubber, there is a large cupola, and the indoor is humongous. I appreciated the friendly welcome from the boarders, having had different experiences in the past, trailering Crissy to our jumping lessons. The boarders there viewed us as intruders and made no bones about it.

Yesterday a woman told me her Morgan lived to the age of 43, roaming freely at the farm. Oh boy, if Remy lives that long I need to find a retirement home that takes both of us!

Regarding the saddle it seems the 3/4 independent shoulder relief system works best for him, and the saddle we have on trial now (a Triumph) is build standard on a shorter tree. I also tried a Link II but didn't care for the Mono-Flap. If I decide that I don't like the Triumph I can have a Wave build with the Triumph panels. It's never easy, is it? Back in the old days in Germany the store owner would bring two or three saddles to the barn (if you were lucky), and this is what you got to choose from. Period. The nice thing is that I can keep the saddle on trial for 10 days, so I am looking forward to see how it works in my lesson today.

What I meant with "Too good to be true" is Remy's behaviour in the new place. He was curious, but calm, didn't get bothered by all the horses looking at him through their half-doors. I, of course, had to immediately scout for monsters. Saumur at the time was convinced they were everywhere. I shouldn't have bothered. Remy clearly is not concerned about monsters. He was a gentleman on the longe line, let us adjust and fuss with the saddles, stirrup leathers, etc. and was attentive and polite under saddle, soaking up all the attention. Paranoia setting in I asked JP if he thought something was wrong with Remy?? OK, granted, this didn't even deserve a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment