Sunday, July 8, 2012

Searching for the right (saddle) fit - and where is his bathing suit?

Luanne, the rep for Schleese saddlery, came today to help us find a good saddle to fit Remy. Luckily we caught a break with the heat, 'only' mid 80s today. Initially I had thought I could get away with using Saumur's Wave saddle, but despite a Thinline pad with shims it's just too wide for Remy.

So, budget conscious person that I am, I asked Luanne if she could find me a used Wave that could get adjusted to Remy. Yes, she did, and she brought it today for a trial, together with a new one. Make a long story short, the saddle was in great condition, but seven years old, and the flaps were too short for my legs. Deep breath... let's try the new one. I liked it right away, but the panels didn't fit Remy. So, Luanne is off to try to find us the same saddle with different panels. If not, one has to be build -- ah, the things we do! But then... Remy's human namesake (my nephew) doesn't have the need for a saddle, but for a  drivers license, a Jaguar (!), Bang and Olufsen equipment... considering all that, I guess outfitting 'Equine Remy' is a bargain!

During all the try outs, saddle on, ride, saddle off, saddle on, ride saddle off... Remy was just awesome, polite, attentive, even when his hind leg got caught on the mounting block he didn't get rattled, just walked calmly off. Junior sure earned his treats today!

Later this afternoon we turned all the boys out in our outdoor arena, as the pastures a bare due to the extreme heat. At least around the outdoor there is still nice grass. We were having a drink on the patio, watching the boys graze, when I noticed Saumur rolling, rolling, and then just laying on his side, grunting. Oh, no, I of course started to assume the worst. JP, always seeing the glass half full, calmly said, "Saumur just enjoys the warm fluffy sand, he probably thinks he's on the beach", and to Saumur he called "Saumur, where is your bathing suit?". Well, I guess that embarrassed Saumur enough to get up, shake the sand off, and return to grazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment