Friday, July 13, 2012

Embrace the spark - or pull out the fire extinguisher?


At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us.

-        Albert Schweitzer

I came across this quote from Albert Schweitzer and thought “how true!” for so many situations in life. Also applicable when it comes to horses and competitions. My flame lately is burning pretty low concerning horse shows and the whole competitive stress.  Add another bout of stomach flu to my overflowing schedule and my motivation to pick up Remy tonight and take him to Waterloo for a large recognized dressage show is not really there.

Enter JP, who is not just ‘rekindling the flame’, he’s pouring gasoline on it! Without him, I would have said “forget the entry fees, we are staying home!”. But he is so supportive and really proud of us (even when we don’t do well) that it’s hard not to be motivated by him.

So, I guess JP put enough fuel on the flame that I agreed to spend the weekend in 90F weather at a very crowded show with a four-year old. And did I mention that my ride time requires me to get up at 3:30 a.m. tomorrow morning? Perhaps I should have had a fire extinguisher ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment