Monday, July 2, 2012

Does he need another quarter? - and more "Yes, Ma'am"

Finally - back to lessons with Sandy! We trailered Chambord and Remy today, hitting the road fairly early due to the intense heat.

I warmed up (actually that's quite an oxymoron, better to say I loosened up) Chambord for JP, as JP's knee is still healing. Chambord worked really well, but his little quirk is that he is used to get a treat for an exercise well done. When he thinks that's the case he will stop and crane his neck around, waiting for the sugar to come. Lavish praise from me after a good job obviously was not cutting it, Chambord refused to proceed without his reward. Sandy jokingly asked "Do you need another quarter in?" That's exactly how it felt!

Remy did retain the progress from our last rides well, he is much more consistent in the connection. What is lacking is the "Yes, ma'am!". He sometimes takes his sweet time to react, meaning he is behind my leg. No fun pushing him along in 90F weather. Remy is right at attention when I carry a stick (I don't have to use it), but the little bugger knows when I don't have one. Nevertheless, we managed to improve from "Hmh, maybe?...OK, then" to "OK, off I go". Not the sharp "Yes, ma'am" Sandy would like to see but a good move in the right direction. I sure could get used to more "yes, ma'am's"... anybody taking the hint??

No comments:

Post a Comment