Sunday, September 16, 2012

Georgeous weather - and riding in a fish bowl

Saturday morning JP and I decided to make the best use of the perfect weather by going on a trailride with Remy and Chambord. The four of us enjoyed ourselves on the beautiful trails.

In the afternoon it was time for more serious work, we had lessons at Judy's. On the way to Clarkston we had one very close call, as all of a sudden the cars in front of us came to a dead stop and we barely missed the car in front of us. I was more worried about somebody hitting us from behind, though, but luckily, the driver swerved to the side. Nothing like a near miss to get the adrenaline up!

Once safely at Judy's we decided to see how Saumur and Remy would handle the work in her indoor arena. It is huge (larger than the 20x60m regulation size arena), and one side is all windows to the observation room. It looks a bit like being in a fish bowl. Add Saumur with his many phobias and well, it could make for 'interesting' rides. Once again, Saumur surprised me: he was looking around but not spooking, and settled into the work calmly. Judy guided me through some changes in my position (those darn shoulders going forward!), reminding me that I need to hug Saumur with my legs, and also keep looking up. I don't know what exactly happened, but the entire ride felt great. JP told me afterwards that he rarely has seen me riding so relaxed and well! We creatively used the sun ray pattern on the floor for shoulder in exercises. The canter work focused on keeping the energy, or actually getting the energy 'up' (upwards) when collecting the steps.

Due to Remy's natural curiosity I didn't worry as much about him in the arena. With Remy it's not the fear that has be overcome, it's the "Oh, look, people!", "Did you see the dog?", "Hi there, do you have a cookie?". We had one 'hairy' moment when Remy humped up his back and threw in a bit of a buck. It was on a bending line and I thought he had lost his balance. Judy suggested that he might feel some tightness in his back. Can't wait to get the the 'airbags' (flair system) for my saddle (they are on-route from the UK). The rest of the ride went well. Judy asked if it was OK with me if she'd get on to see how Remy feels. I enjoyed watching them, it so different to actually see how the horse looks. They both looked great together.

Afterwards Judy confirmed, "Wow, your two horses really are the complete opposites". Where Saumur is timid and easily frightened, Remy is bold and tries to question authority. So, if I remember correctly from the few physics classes I didn't skip, it would mean that I have to be the 'balancing pole' in the middle.

All I hope is that this will make me a better rider and that I do both of the boys justice in bringing out the best of them (and me!).

No comments:

Post a Comment