Wednesday, September 5, 2012

The best compliment: "He is a normal horse"


I was a bit apprehensive about our initial lessons with Judy; she also knew about the accident Sandy and Saumur had. In addition, I sensed the unspoken question “Why Morgans?”

Saumur was first to go. We went to the outdoor arena and I gave Judy a quick synopsis of Saumur’s past and present. Aside from a small hop Saumur was fine, no spooks. I kept the warm up low key. Then Judy asked if she could get on Saumur. They both looked great together. I could see that she rode him on a much softer contact that I usually do. After Judy got off she pronounced him “a normal horse”! Yay! I felt relieved and also very happy –all those years, trying make Saumur a ‘normal’ horse…

Remy, the social butterfly, was very interested in his surroundings and all the horses adjacent to the outdoor arena. It was a bit of a challenge to keep his attention, but overall he put in a good effort. Remy even kept it together when some of the horses started to run and play. Prudently, though, I skipped the canter while the fun was going on.

As we talked afterwards we commented on the interesting facts of Judy going to Germany to buy German Warmbloods - and me in America having American Morgan Horses… and let’s not forget the French guy with his American Quarter Horse.  And we agreed that it works for all of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment