Friday, September 14, 2012

Progress on the fence-front - and surprising calmness

Last night when I came home the fence people were still very much at work, ramming the posts into the ground. I don’t know exactly what to expect, I guess post hole digging? But these days seem to be over. The round posts get sharpened on one end, and then the Bobcat-type machine pounds them into the ground. They look massive – no comparison to what we had.

The boys are less than enthused having to stay in their rather small paddock. We try to keep enough hay in front of them to keep them occupied… but… the hay outside the fence looks just too yummy. I see a ‘jail-break’ coming if we don’t move them soon.

Saumur surprised me yesterday. With all the pounding and machinery noise going on I thought I better just longe him; full well expecting him to be a wild man, frightened and jumping around. Last year at the Traverse City Horse Show he was barely manageable, having been thoroughly upset by the construction that was going on. And then this year at Sandy’s he ran through the fence when huge farm equipment was used in the hayfield next to his turnout.

Well, Saumur is always good for a surprise. He was a calm as could be, didn’t get bothered by the Bobcat coming close to the outdoor arena, noise, workers, posts being dumped on the ground, etc.  – go figure! Tonight there probably will be something small (like a bucket in the wrong spot) that will absolutely fluster him. Just to keep me on my toes…

No comments:

Post a Comment