Saturday, January 11, 2014

DIY - or "My Ikea approach to training my horses"

Someone recently made a comment to me about "always wanting to ride FEI  horses" and "not wanting to bother with the lower level stuff". Hmm --

It made me think about my approach to horse-ownership and riding; and what I call  "my Ikea approach". When I was 20 I got my first apartment; and  I had very little money to spend on furnishing a completely empty place. My choices were limited to hand-me downs and Ikea. Now, at that time getting furniture from Ikea was quite the adventure - everything came in parts to be assembled by the buyer, and notoriously there were items missing from the package. Furthermore, once assembled there was still a good chance that the book case, table, chair, etc. was wobbling or worst case even toppled over. But I still vividly remember the joy I felt when I had managed to assemble and paint my dining room table. So what if there were some screws missing and the table had a funky slant? I had a handy friend that was also into carpentry; and he fixed my imperfect work and made the table whole.

Now, what does that have to do with horse-training? IMO, a lot. I feel the same about my horses - I like to be there early in their education and build the relationship. Yes, there is a very good chance that I'm missing parts (and no, I am NOT missing a screw!) but the process is fun - horsey temper tantrums and all. Of course, that only works because I have Judy to straighten me and my boys out. It's like having a master-carpenter on stand-by, ready to fix that wobbly table.

Note to self: Next Christmas - a carpenter belt for Jude.

No comments:

Post a Comment