Thursday, January 23, 2014

I turned into a human horse-walker - and ignorance is not always bliss

We are in the claws of an unrelenting deep freeze, euphemistically called "Polar Vortex". (More appropriate: "The Non-Stop Polar Express to Antarctica"). Sub-zero temps rule out riding, strenuous exercise is not good for the horses. It hurts their lungs if they deeply inhale the frigid air. The horses at Judy's still get several hours of turnout, but on the frozen ground they (thankfully!) don't move around much.

That leaves the riders with basically one option: Hand-walking. Big show barns have automated horse-walkers, equine treadmills, solariums, and even swimming pools for horses.  We have exercise for both horse and human in the form of hand-walking in the arena. One of Judy's clients figured out that walking 10 times around the perimeter of the arena equals 1 1/4 miles. Not bad!

So, this is how I spend my afternoon: Walking the boys in the indoor. Both seemed to be happy to stretch their legs and were at their best behavior. No flying kites today!

Walking the horses gives the humans a chance to chat, and while I walked Remy I talked with someone I previously had not met. We had a good conversation... until I mentioned that my boys are Morgans, that is. Her reply: "When I can no longer figure out Warmbloods I'll go back to Morgans". Implied of course, that Morgans are of lower quality, not as challenging and competitive as Warmbloods.

My 'Schachtelteufel'* was about to jump to his last spring, when Takako-san came to mind. Takako-san was my Japanese language professor, a tiny slip of a lady, who always reminded me: "Birgit-san, you are a lady, and ladies are not using that language". What she meant was that the Japanese language has gender-specific expressions. Some words are not supposed to be used by women. So, with that in mind I just calmly replied "You know, this is very offensive", and walked away.

Doomo arigatoo gozaimashita, Takako-san. My Japanese language skills are still woefully inadequate (entirely my fault), but your lessons left a lasting impression.

Actually, come to think of, the one who should really thank you is the woman who made the rude remark. Ignorance definitely is not always bliss - it can be just plain stupid!

*'Schachtelteufel = Devil in the Box (picture a little devil instead of a Jack in the Box). My friend Stephanie calls it "your Schachtelteufel is at his last spring" when my temper gets the better of me. Someone opens the box and out jumps the little devil.


No comments:

Post a Comment