Friday, January 17, 2014

Where did my mojo go? Battling the winter doldrums

OK, so far I’ve been very good not to let the Michigan winter get to me. Sorry to admit, but the ‘winter doldrums’ (Colloquially, the "doldrums" are a state of inactivity, mild depression, listlessness or stagnation) are starting to creep in. Snow, slush and ice almost made me cancel my lesson yesterday; JP volunteered to battle the road conditions and chauffeur us to the barn. After all, the boys were out of carrots!

It was hard getting my motivation up to ride. The thought crossed my mind that I could have sat on the couch instead with a good book, glass of wine, and Jerry the barn-cat (now that’s an oxymoron) on my lap.  Sure enough, Remy didn’t relish the feeling that I would have rather traded him in for my warm couch that afternoon. He swiftly showed me what he thought of that by being inattentive and argumentative.

Nothing like a horse to get you to focus on the here and now. So we (I) buckled down and got to work. Numerous stern reminders from the intrepid coach: “Uphill! More forward! Over his back!” did the rest. Things started to flow better and I got some of “my mojo workin’” again. Head to the wall leg yields in the trot produced a more balanced Remy, which helped getting him off the inside rein.

The highlight of the afternoon was a lovely canter lengthening. I should have quit then and there. But no, I decided to do some stretchy trot to finish. Not good enough, though, I lost Remy’s back, and we had to continue to work until it was correct. Rightfully so, Judy is not one that lets you quit on a wrong note (“don’t put him back in his stall with the wrong impression in his mind”).

I guess I shouldn’t go to bed “with the wrong impression in my mind” either. Someone better takes the weather app away from me!

No comments:

Post a Comment