Sunday, March 23, 2014

A ride like this makes it all worth it - and did I finally unravel the Gordian Knot?

Not to gush, but there are rides that on rare occasions make you feel like you hit the jackpot. My lesson with Remy was on of those instances. Due to the weather and less playtime I warmed him up on the longe line. Judy stressed how important it is to make him work over his back right from the start. All went well, but then of course, 'little Renegade' had to throw in some bucks. "Uh, uh, could be an interesting ride", I thought.

But once I was on and we went into the work all I can say is "WOW' - or as Judy put it: "You found his hind legs". Remy was on my seat and legs, his back up, nice and round. He was LISTENING and ANSWERING and DIDN'T ARGUE  - all things not exactly high on the list of a typical teenager. It allowed me to have a much better (lighter) connection to the bit.

So what changed? Or better "how did I unravel the Gordian Knot*?" Certainly all the efforts Judy poured into Remy's and my training (read: kicking our collective behinds when needed), combined with riding Saumur strictly off my seat finally paid dividends. My position improved and I am riding with much more confidence and clearer expectations (and yes, I still have the "we can f...ing do this" mantra). The ride gave me glimpses of the harmony Remy and I can achieve. I am also very aware, of course, that at the next ride Remy might very well bring me down a notch or two. But the important part is we know we can get there!

The Gordian Knot is a legend of Phrygian Gordium associated with Alexander the Great. It is often used as a metaphor for an intractable problem (disentangling an "impossible" knot).

Later that evening JP was captured by "Dr. Pol" (a documentary about a Michigan country veterinarian), My interest in cow midwifery is rather limited so I flipped through some old 'Dressage Today' magazines. One article headlined "Communicate with clarity, not diplomacy" hit the nail on the head.. Horses are confident when the rules of the game are clearly defined. Give a clear aid and expect a clear response. That's clarity. If you don't get a response or you get the wrong one, coach the horse to help him find the correct response. Riders who nag or just hope the horse understands may thing they are being kind and diplomatic, but from the horse's point of view, they are being vague and confusing. (Yes, Jude, that's exactly what you have been trying to drum into me all along!)

I live by the saying "Being honest and direct may not get you a lot of friends but it will always get you the right ones."  In the case of Remy and me: It should make for a great partnership! (Hopefully -- and if we hit a bumpy road I can always revert to diplomacy in form of my yummy home baked horse cookies)

No comments:

Post a Comment