Friday, March 28, 2014

An afternoon that tests Remy's patience - and the price of growth

I had noted for some time that Remy’s saddle didn’t seem to fit as well as when it was adjusted just a few months ago. Could it be that he already needed another adjustment? Yes, Judy confirmed it wasn’t just “all in my head” (as certain unnamed people will say when I fret over my horses equipment, feed, you name it --). The saddle was coming up in the back and also sat higher on the right than on the left.

As always, Luanne (the Schleese saddlefitter) to the rescue. The timing was perfect as she had also found a used saddle that seemed to be good contender for both JP and Chambord. Unfortunately, yesterday was yet another cold and blustery day with intermittent snow and ice rain to boot. I was really worried about JP and Chambord hitting the slippery roads, but luckily all went well.

Initial checks confirmed that Remy’s withers had risens several inches and he has also gained in muscling; causing the saddle to pinch in front and not making enough contact in the back. And so began Remy’s “Marathon test of patience”  First he had to stand still for the various measurements, then he had to wait until the tree was adjusted, followed by longing, then riding. I felt an unevenness, so back to the grooming stall for Remy, Luanne did her thing, and off we went again. During all that there was a lot going in the arena, lessons, rides, JP and Chambord trying their saddle. I was so proud of my little guy, he paid attention, didn’t lose (a lot) of focus and behaved really well.

Just at the final check (almost three hours into it) Remy told me in no uncertain terms that he’s had it. He stomped his foot and refused to walk. Well, kid, that’s the price you pay for growing: The equipment has to be tailored so it fits and is comfy. He grumbled a bit but then decided I was right – yeah, well, more likely he moved off because he heard the dinner preparations. Quite frankly by that time I was desperate for chocolate myself.

It was a long and cold but productive afternoon. That’s the price we pray for growth – and I gladly fork over time, convenience and money for fitting the kid correctly. And Remy: On the bright side - Luanne said by PSG the muscles are usually defined enough so the saddle adjustments will be minor and therefore quick. Now, isn’t that motivation enough to move up the levels??

No comments:

Post a Comment