Monday, June 16, 2014

A good start - followed by "Glueck im Unglueck"

Last week's competition at Waterloo got off to a good start, with Judy and Remy winning a very large 1st3 class on Friday, with a 67.5% despite Remy throwing in a flying change instead of a changing through the trot. My turn came on Saturday, Remy schooled very well, and I felt that I am finally figuring out how to sit in the lengthenings. Previous comments always were along the lines of "too conservative", "not enough". This time though I could really feel him rise in front and put the rear engine on - pretty cool! We placed a close second in our class and I was happy.

So, I had no qualms about the next one, even though it was scheduled right during the competitors party. Judy had a Grand Prix test at the same time, so she couldn't school us, but I had no qualms about handling it on our own. Well, Remy took a look at the catering truck and all the people right next to the warm up ring - and that was it. He bolted, did a 180 at full speed, and I got thrown into a fence. I hit hard with my head and leg, and got the wind knocked out of me. Immediately people were there, including the EMT and Kevin, the show manager. I knew my head was OK (thank you Charles Owen, for making great helmets!!) but that my leg was broken. Remy, meanwhile, had stopped right away, and JP lead him to his stall. The EMT took my boot off (thanks, this time to Zippers); and we decided that it would be OK for JP to take me to the closest hospital instead of waiting for an ambulance.

Kevin directed JP to the Chelsea Community Hospital; it was a busy evening there, but I felt well taken care of. I had to convince the nurses not to cut off my beloved Pikeur pants, and I managed to wiggle out of them despite the swollen leg. After CT Scan, X-rays, etc. the doctor confirmed what I had thought: Head OK, left leg a clean fracture, and whiplash. Of course, it was no question that I could get back into my pants, so the nurse brought me some hospital shorts (about 10 sizes too large). It was pretty funny, me hobbling out on crutches (which I had never used before) and trying not to lose the shorts at the same time.

At home my 'apparition' freaked out the dogs and cats, and Max almost peed into his (non-existing) pants! So tomorrow I'll see an orthopedic surgeon, and I do hope to get a walking cast. It's only day two and I'm already getting cabin fever!!

I am so happy for the support and the messages I got from friends, Judy and the Topline team, and of course, my own private nurse: JP! Judy rode Remy yesterday in the same arena to see how he was and to finish on a good note; which he did! Still, honestly, I am a bit depressed about the whole thing and I have to assess how to go from here.

However, I am VERY GRATEFUL for a relatively 'easy' injury. That's what I mean with "Glueck im Unglueck" ("Good Luck during Bad Luck"). It could have been much worse. As my mother pointed out matter of fact: I'm alive! (she's not one to coddle much); sadly at the same weekend a German eventer died.

No comments:

Post a Comment