Saturday, July 2, 2016

A very good student - and the sound of an asthmatic cow or top tennis player?

Today I opted for performance over vanity - which meant riding in indoor. Usually Remy is less tolerant of being asked to work hard on the second day. That manifests itself in spooks, like he is saying "thanks, I'm good, that's enough now". So I decided to make it a bit easier on us and use the better footing in the indoor.


Well, apparently yesterday didn't tire Remy out because this morning he was observed playing hard and fast with Bo, the ex-race horse that shares his paddock. To my surprise Remy was a super student, he put his nose to work -so to speak- and didn't object to being pushed. And Jan pushed us hard, rightfully so. I have a tendency to accept "good enough" which in reality isn't really good enough (I only do that with Remy, interestingly, at work I get quite crabby when people opt for "good enough").


In order to get Remy more supple and round Jan had us to lots of serpentines, always focusing on forward and the correct bend. Shoulder-ins and haunches-ins prepared us for really good half-passes.
In the canter Jan asked for medium on the 20m circle, with clear transitions within the gait.


While I was super happy with Remy I was embarrassed about the 'background noise' I produced.  I just can't get enough air into my lungs in the indoor arena. I wasn't wearing my mask, so I was breathing hard - I sounded like an "old asthmatic cow" (that term comes from my dad, who has breathing trouble due to heart issues). I'd rather liken it to some of the tennis players - at least they are winning with the heavy breathing.


But whatever the sounds, most importantly Remy and I worked as a team - and that's all that counts!


Regarding sounds, though, while I am writing this I am listening to Rufus Wainwright and a 1500 person choir singing Hallelujah in an abandoned power plant in Toronto. Check this out:
http://torontolife.com/culture/music/watch-rufus-wainwright-and-a-1500-person-choir-sing-hallelujah-in-an-abandoned-power-plant/


(No asthmatic cow there). It's beautiful and touches me deeply.



No comments:

Post a Comment