Thursday, March 19, 2020

A different kind of "Schmusekater" - and are they really that heavy??

Randy had a special treat for me - she asked her friends Felicia and Dave if I could come visit. I had heard that they are animal lovers and rescue large numbers of cats, including bobcats. It's not an organization, just two dedicated people making a difference for a lot of animals.

I was in for quite an experience. My eyes got a bit wider when I saw their set up. Any zoo could be envious, spacious enclosures with sofas, toys, plus an air conditioned house for the about 30 rescue cats. And then of course, the piece de resistance - the bobcats, all rescues. Felicia has a very special bond with Blaze (better not ask her to choose between him and Dave..) and she invited me into the enclosure. Well, it was love a first sight! What a spectacular animal. I carefully gave him a bit of a massage and he was purring and licking like any other "Schmusekater" (cuddly -tom-cat). What a treat!

It was funny, I had googled what bobcats eat to see what I could bring as a treat. Of course, with the meat shortages in the supermarkets there was no chicken to be found. I had to settle for cut up beef hearts - Yikes! (remember, I'm a vegetarian and I can't even touch meat). But turns out that I hit the jackpot, as Felicia explained that the bobcats go for the intestines first after a kill. Makes sense, because these contain lots of nutrients. Another interesting thing I learned is that the back of a bobcat ear is white, so it mimics the eyes and throws the enemies off guard.

Schmusekater Blaze
On the Remy side all is well, with Sally on self-imposed quarantine (she has a sick friend in the hospital) Roz and I headed out for an absolute lovely trailride through Little Ranches yesterday. We went into the older neighborhood, along the canals, and the scenery was charming and offered plenty of shade. When we left Halvorsrod Farm I was about to activate the automatic gate when it swung open. Usually it only does it when a car drives up. Roz and I looked at each other and wondered if it could be that our -admittedly a bit chubby- boys weigh as much as a car??

Randy later eased our 'fears' and said the gate is activated by metal, so it must have been the horse shoes. Who would have thought??

Jan, the owner of C&W horse transport, has confirmed March 31 for the boys to head North. Everybody is very worried, and tempers are getting a bit frayed, so it's good to have a plan. I will be leaving on the same day, hoping that there will be no travel restrictions and open rest areas. 2300 km is a long way home without bathrooms and/or hotels! Being stuck in the backwoods of Appalachia is not my idea of fun either. Of course, JP, ever the diplomat, said he'd be happy to have Remy back as soon as possible, but "it wouldn't be dramatic if you have to stay a bit longer". Guess I know where I am on the list of priorities  :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment