Tuesday, March 24, 2020

One more lesson, one more hack - and then we will hit the road

The Welly-World exodus continues, lots of people have already left or are in the process of leaving. Some had trouble arranging for overnight accommodations with their horses on the long haul to Northern Canada. I'm happy Remy will be in a box stall on a truck that goes straight to our barn in Michigan, no detours this time! And traffic should be lighter than expected, especially in the Atlanta area, so that will help.

As for me, I'm just tired. Physically and mentally. It was a difficult season this year, to no one's fault. Isolating at home actually sounds like a good idea right now. Kensington Park is still open, so if the weather cooperates we will be able to go for hikes and trail rides. It will do all of us a world of good.

I'm just baffled at how inconsiderate some people are. Michigan is on lockdown, and JP just told me he was asked if he could come tomorrow to a barn to help with post hole digging. Really?? I blew a fuse, because JP didn't see a problem with it. Another Really??  First: Risk getting exposed because of some post holes?? Second: Lockdown! (Not even our ever helpful neighbor and friend is venturing out right now.) Third: Still back pain, courtesy of Chambord's last Yeehaw episode. Plus, Plus... OK, I'm stopping my rant but it just made me mad.

On a brighter note, Remy is finishing the season well, and we have made great strides in our training. He looks like a different horse (proud mother is anxiously awaiting his "Prom-photos" from Joanna).

Remy's image of himself

 His confidence has improved and his attitude is definitely way better than last year. Now when he does something silly, like shying to get out of work, I reprimand him (mainly all it takes is calling him a Little Sh*t) he says yes, ma'am and he knocks it off. Last year he was still sometimes testing if he could intimidate me (and he sometimes succeeded, those quick spins were NOT endearing).

We tried a different snaffle today, Roz' three piece eggbutt snaffle.  I usually ride him in a Neue Schule Turtle Tactio. The beauty of being at a barn with different trainers is that one will always pick up pieces of new and helpful information. This time it was Noel, pointing out that my current bit can actually lock at a certain angle and act like a straight bar. Both Roz and I liked how Remy felt in hers. He was more solid in the contact, not as 'wiggly' as usual. I'll try again tomorrow, before making a decision if it's a better choice or not.

Last lesson for a while tomorrow, I assume until end of April or thereabouts, if all goes well. Remy will get a pedicure (lucky him, not available for me and I don't think I could talk James, the farrier, into giving me one?).  Thursday will be a hacking day. Friday is off, just bodywork for Remy and Boti, and then Saturday morning the bus will pick them up. OMG, the PACKING!! Sally has already left, and Boti travels with a seemingly houseful of supplies. Randy offered to shuttle our things with the Gator to the road, as the big semi doesn't fit into her driveway and we need to load everything and horses right on the road.

One step at a time, for now we are all healthy and -if all goes well- home by Sunday/Monday.






No comments:

Post a Comment