Saturday, May 28, 2011

Balance - and sit down

We took the boys to Sandy's today so we could have lessons today and tomorrow. With all the rain this week we couldn't get much riding in, which rather depressed me. I really miss riding and it sure helps offset all the stress at work.

Saumur was relaxed from the beginning and we were able to go right to work. It's really important to have him balanced, because if he gets on the forehand it's "over and out". If I have him balanced then the flying changes are good. OTOH, when he blasts through my half-halts they won't be happening. Sandy reminded me that my half-halts have to come from my hands and body, once again: NOT by bracing my back/using my seat.

We worked on elements of the tests, especially the new movement in 3/3: half-pass to center line, straight at X and then a flying change between I and G. This is where the balance really comes in. And, VERY IMPORTANT: My bottom MUST STAY down. No hunter changes!  We also worked on more expression in the half-passes: Think TAKT and Medium paces. Not that we are actually riding medium in the half-pass, but getting the feel of it.

I feel much more confident about the shows this year. For me, it was pretty gutsy to enter the big show in Traverse City, especially knowing that Sandy won't be going to this one. We'll be on our own, with JP carrying the load alone (dealing with my show nerves, ugh) and having the unenviable position of  "TT" (Turnier Trottel, meaning the trusty helper and 'go-to', 'go-for' at the shows). But actually, I am excited about going to Traverse City. I might be getting ahead of myself, but I entered the Qualifying Classes for the Regional Championships. Nothing ventured - nothing gained!

Chambord had to keep us guessing in the beginning again today. Once his saddle was on he started to kick out behind, and didn't want to move forward. JP was worried that all of a sudden the newly adjusted saddle didn't fit. But as it turned out, the explanation was as simple: gas! All that rich, wet grass will do that. Once Chambord got moving he was fine. I said to Sandy that he is a bit like DR, in that these horses show right away when something is not right. Sandy mentioned that this is often the case with light skinned horses. I jokingly said, "well I'm very light skinned, too". Of course, her come back was immediate: "Well, that fits you, too. You ARE very sensitive" (implied: easily rattled). Who, me???

No comments:

Post a Comment