Sunday, May 22, 2011

We've got Rhythm - we've got Takt - yeah!

Both JP and I had really good "send-off lessons" today. Sandy had us work on the flying changes, using the same exercise we did with George. Three-loop serpentine through the width of the arena, with flying changes at each change of direction. We were able to do both directions with clean changes. Sandy reminded me to focus on the rhythm, to keep it the same. She noted that when George used the German word 'takt' I immediately got the rhythm steady. Guess sometimes going back to the first language really drives the point home!

I am so happy that we seem to be on the right path with the changes. They really were my nemesis at last year's shows. Over the winter I had hoped to take some lessons on Shevy, Sandy's schoolmaster, but as Shevy is leased that didn't work out. I don't regret it, though, because Saumur taught me what Sandy taught him. How cool is that?!

JP and Chambord also did very well. Chambord was, according to Sandy, "a little brat" on Thursday, so she had Katie ride him through the resistance. And sure enough, JP told me on Friday that he had "the ride of his life" on Chambord. And today they had another great lesson. Good thing we didn't schedule more extensive vet exams!

Stacy, the saddle fitter, brought JPs reworked saddle and both Chambord and JP are really happy. Guess all's well that ends well.

It was a bit strange to take the boys home, but we'll be back next weekend for lessons. So during the next months we will commute between our two 'barn-holds'. The boys seemed really happy to be back home, Chambord especially expressed his joy by cantering and bucking along the fence line while Saumur preferred to graze and watch his friend's antics.

No comments:

Post a Comment