Sunday, May 29, 2011

Some days just don't work out as planned --

We went to the movies last night and the film we saw, Incendies, troubled me all night. I hardly slept at all, and I still have some of the images in my mind.

So, with four hours of sleep for me we drove to Sandy's for our lessons. Chambord and JP went first, and Chambord did the kicking out with the hind legs again when JP got on. After longeing it was better, and then he worked well in his lesson.

Saumur again started out great, and we focused again today on my position. Sandy explained very detailed on how to draw my core together in the transitions, instead of 'popping up'. All went well and we had started the canter work, half passes across the arena with counter canter, when JP came in with Chambord and said Chambord was not feeling well. That of course completely shot my focus to pieces. JP was hand walking Chambord while we tried to go on with my lesson, to finish with the changes. I had a heck of time, lack of focus is NOT conducive to good riding! We finally had a good change and quit with that.

In the meantime, Chambord seemed to be feeling worse and we called the vet. Bloodwork, physical exam etc. turned up nothing. Chambord seemed a bit dehydrated but the vet couldn't get the nasal tube down, so we took a chance and decided not to insist. After consulting with Chambord's regular vet we decided to trailer him home. By the time we got home we had been gone over seven hours today! We barely had unloaded the horses when the storm sirens went off.

From the barn I had called our friends Susanne and Joachim to see if the could help us out with mash. We only keep pellets at home and they are not good for making the soupy mash the vet recommended for Chambord. Luckily, Susanne hand everything at hand and after the boys were in their' rooms' at home I went to pick up the ingredients. The storm really hit right then, and I got treated to German cookies while waiting for the worst to pass. Loaded with beet pulp and hay cubes I came home to no power. The beet pulp was already soaked, and I had enough water for the hay cubes so Chambord could get his 'slush'. He wasn't exactly thrilled but then decided to eat. Saumur got his first taste of beet pulp and decided it was yummy. JP just checked on Chambord and he seems fine now. We'll have to monitor to see if the lush grass with all the sugar is the culprit for the bellyaches. 

I am still stewing about my inability to focus during my lesson, even though I had a valid reason to be worried. And we still have no power, our generator doesn't work, so no light, no water..

No comments:

Post a Comment