Tuesday, May 3, 2011

It's this time of the year again --

Here we go again, the show bill arrived, with closing dates coming up at warp speed. Just looking at those got my heart rate up (should be a good thing, because my blood pressure is always too low).

I can feel the anxiety already creeping up, and we are still a month away from the start of the season. It's hard to explain, I don't have any issues in my professional life to be assertive and in charge - take me to a horse show and I'm a nervous wreck.

Just this morning I talked with a friend of mine who went through similar experiences. She is a tough as nails former JAG lawyer, accomplished FEI competitor and still -- nerves! She told me it took her years (she wouldn't divulge how many) to get over the performance anxiety at shows. Some of the thoughts that helped her were: "Focus on the horse - not you" and "Show off the horse and worry about yourself less". Yeah, sorry, that is not enough for me -- does this advise come with a strong drink or two??
Our first test will be the upcoming clinic with George May 17 and 18. This time there will be mostly professionals riding. I might have to schedule an emergency session with a Hypnotist or Sports Psychologist pronto.

No comments:

Post a Comment