Monday, May 16, 2011

Fighting Windmills - Two overachievers together are no guarantee for success

Yesterday wasn’t the best of days, starting out with 38F and pouring rain. Then we found out that the chiropractic treatment did not take care of Chambord’s issue. He is great on the longe line, but still can’t bend when under saddle. Now we are wondering if he has a tooth issue. Luckily Dr. Younk had planned to audit the clinic, so she agreed to check Chambord tomorrow.


To top it off Saumur saw monsters lurking everywhere in the arena. I have to admit I got very frustrated: The last ride before the clinic and we can’t even go down the long side of the arena again. I put myself under so much pressure, because I want to ride well, and then the frustration takes over and we go downhill from there. Of course Saumur, who also is a ‘Type A’ personality, feeds off my anxiety and frustration and that’s it.


I truly admire Sandy’s patience with us. She won’t let me give up or get away from the scary parts. The mantra* is: Outside rein, inside leg. And I got another reminder that I did not choose an easy horse – with the unspoken implication “Suck it up and deal with it!”. That was exactly what I needed. I was amazed that we finished well, with canter half-passes on the long diagonals with clean changes. It definitely helped getting ‘in the zone’ for tomorrow. Better put the mantra on the continuous loop, though.

*Mantra: Holy word in meditation
In Hindu and Buddhist religious practice, a sacred word, chant, or sound that is repeated during meditation to facilitate spiritual power and transformation of consciousness (Encarta Dictionary)

No comments:

Post a Comment