Sunday, June 12, 2011

Countdown to our first show of the season

Ah - show nerves, here we come! Today we rode through all 3rd level tests for the first time this year. Let me tell you, being 'directionally challenged' does not help when trying to navigate those tricky patterns. Enter my faithful TT (Turnier Trottel, in kinder words: show support person). JP read the tests and got frustrated because I wasn't able to follow his directions (go figure, he's my husband!). So, creative guy that he is, he proceeded to 'canter' the pattern on foot, with perfect flying changes at the letters - although Sandy thought he might have been a tad late behind in one change :-).

We got through the tests but Saumur started to blow through my half halts when anticipating the changes. Sandy reminded me of what George said at our last lesson "when he is rude, don't wait until you have to be too rude, fix it immediately". Transitions, transitions... We really struggled with the last flying change between I & G going left, we just couldn't get it. Sandy had already left the outdoor arena to teach the next lesson inside and I was at a loss. Before it all fell to pieces I decided to change the pattern and do several flying changes across the arena. Those worked beautifully and we were able to end on a good note.

Still, now I'm of course wondering "what if" (what if he blows through and we don't get the changes in front of the judge?). Well, really, what's the worst that can happen? A bad score. Any reasonable person would say that. Reasonable being the key word.

In addition, my over-analyzing mind is mulling different options for the show. Sandy and Francis will take Daughtry and Galeon to Waterloo on Thursday, and they offered to take Saumur with them. Here comes 'overprotective Mom': Saumur never traveled in a slant load, what if he doesn't load? I won't be getting there until late Thursday IF I manage to take Friday off. Would four days at the showgrounds be too much for him? Did I enter the right classes? If I post enter, what should I enter? And it goes on and on... where's the off switch to Birgit's brain?? JP is offering a finder's fee!

No comments:

Post a Comment