Saturday, June 11, 2011

Counter flex for straightness - and equipment test

Saumur has a tendency to take his haunches in when going to the right, so we worked on quick counter flexing in order to get him straight. The other key point is to take pressure off my outside leg, for some reason it seems I'm actually pushing his haunches to the right. My left leg is my weaker leg, so I guess I must be unconsciously overcompensating.

Sandy really upped up the ante in our lessons, good enough is NOT good enough! I do need those 'kicks' because I get so happy about movements that are good that I immediately stop and praise Saumur. Not really a good prep for a show. I can see him stop dead in his tracks after a good flying change, waiting for a cookie - right in front of the judge.

It's funny how different our two boys are. Saumur needs his praise, and it fuels his work. Chambord is more like "oh, let's just get it over with, will ya". I'm not Chambord's person, that's for sure. He does his job, but he would much rather hang out with JP.

Today was also equipment test day. Somehow I regret not being able to wear my top hat for a while. In Germany, it's a rather big deal being 'allowed' to wear a top hat. The unwritten rule is that one has to be winning at L-Dressur (Second Level) in order to 'move up' to a top hat. While, of course, the rule change makes sense, I am sure it sent me and thousands of other people out to buy helmets. I have a good schooling helmet but needed something for the show ring. My British made helmet (bought eons ago for my first fox hunt) actually has a steel liner. Needless to say, on warm days my brain is cooking. While at Rolex at stopped at the Charles Owen booth and got fitted, but I wondered if the helmet would be comfortable while riding. To my big relief: yes, it is. And the bottom part of the outfit (my boots) seem to finally break in - so I can't make excuses based on ill-fitting equipment! Hmm, is that good or bad??

No comments:

Post a Comment