Thursday, June 9, 2011

Sticker shock - riding with 'big names' costs 'big bucks'

The USDF announced that Albion College is hosting a symposium with Steffen Peters in August. I thought that would be great if Saumur and I could participate, and emailed for more information. Everything sounded great: they wanted a "broad variety of horses - not just fancy warmbloods", riders with varied backgrounds, etc., plus the selection committee is chaired by a judge I know well. So far, so good - until I read the fee structure: $450 for one session (I assume 45 minutes), $800 for both days!

I am earning a good living, but really, I had to ask myself: "How much can you learn in 45 minutes that's worth $450??" This just substantiates the common belief that dressage is a 'rich people sport'. The fee equals an entire month of training with Sandy. It really is a no-brainer NOT to apply. I still find it bothersome, though, because this should be an opportunity open to a wide variety of riders, and not just an elite (money-wise) few.

No comments:

Post a Comment