Sunday, January 20, 2013

No, I'm not going to keel over - and riding like a surgeon

We never saw 20F today. It was another reminder that my Nordic genes are no match for Michigan's deep freeze. I had warned Judy before that in very cold weather there is a chance I might get light-headed or even faint. Blame it on my chronically low blood pressure. While there is a good chance it increases my life-expectancy (yay!), the bad news is when it's low, it's really low.

I got through my lesson on Saumur fairly well, despite the howling winds and freezing cold he didn't tense up much. At the end, though, I barely made it off without falling, because I felt so faint. Poor Judy, I had to assure her several times that no, I'm not going to keel over and croak on her!  Once outside the arena I sat on my tack box in the aisle way, head between my legs. Saumur put his head on my shoulder, patiently waiting until I got myself together. When it counts, he is there for me!

Remy doesn't wonder too much how I feel, today he decided it would be a good day to test me. On the right canter circle I worked hard to keep him soft and round, with Judy getting after me to get a better inside leg to outside rein connection. Obviously, I didn't do to well - suddenly we went left instead of right! Once I sorted it out (ok, once I got sorted out) we had lovely work with good transitions.

Judy said I should "ride like a surgeon". That really helped me visualize what she is after my riding: precise, soft yet firm, determined, seeing it through, staying cool when things heat up, keeping the leadership at all times. And perhaps I might add a soupçon of arrogance, better yet self-assurance, paired with humility, which should see us through the show season!

No comments:

Post a Comment