Saturday, January 26, 2013

Sand, surf, crab cakes, key lime pie - but no horses

We are on Hutchinson Island, about an hour north of West Palm Beach. JP and I escaped the Michigan deep freeze for a long weekend. Our hotel is right on a private beach, so the Atlantic Ocean is literally on our door step. My snow white skin has already taken a distinct pink hue, and I twisted my knee in the surf: vacation greenhorn!

Initially we wanted  to see the Wellington Dressage Masters but there were only tickets available for four days, to the tune of $530 for two people! Needless to say we decided to skip,  my inquiry about day tickets netted me a rather arrogant reply from the show office. In that case I rather support the shows  in Europe with my money, they are much more 'customer-friendly', offering tickets per day or even half-day.

Speaking of Wellington/West Palm Beach: ever since I heard of the famous horse shows and top names wintering there I was secretly wishing I could one day join in.. Visiting WP made me quickly realize that this is not my scene. Worth Ave. features every luxury retailer from Chanel, Ferragamo to Tiffany's but to me the atmosphere is distinctly "nouveau riche",  with an artificial charm. Hard to explain, but interesting to observe the 'ladies that lunch and shop'. I sure can not picture myself there - broken fingernails and do it yourself  hair and make-up don't blend in!

We are having a great time on the Treasure Coast, visiting wildlife sanctuaries and nature centers, enjoying the beach, great food (my favorites: crab cakes and key lime pie), basking in 78F temps while shivering when remembering the 5F in MI.  Still, all I can think of when looking at the near endless, empty, sandy beaches: long gallops with the boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment