Tuesday, March 15, 2016

"I want to wear my own bridle - why do I have to wear girl's stuff??"

Taking the boys back and forth between home and 'school' obviously has good points. From their point of view: Unlimited rolling in the mud, nightly treats, bedrooms with half-walls for nightly gossip at home. From the human point of view, the not so good points: Unlimited rolling in the mud, constantly moving half a barn full of equipment and feedstuff (heaven forbid Remy would have to miss out on the ginormous carrots JP schlepps home from the local store).


Today we had both Remy and Chambord on the trailer, above mentioned equipment and stuff, plus our riding gear. The truck and trailer were loaded with everything we needed - or so we thought. Pulling into Topline's driveway I realized that Remy's bridle never made it on the truck. Never mind that it was hanging together with Chambord's on the same hook - SOMEONE only took his own horse's bridle and left Remy's behind.


Judy offered Bebe's bridle for Remy. It has same double broken Herm. Sprenger bit as Remy's, but with a Swedish headstall. I had switched Remy to a Miklem "Rambo" bridle some time ago as I liked all the research and facts on the advantages of the design, and luckily Remy agrees.


Sure enough, Remy made it very clear today that a) He by far prefers the comfort of his own bridle, b) he is not into wearing "Girl's stuff", and c) he wanted his own bridle! After all, with a name like Rambo, what else is there to say?


He was much more fussy in the contact, it got better once I basically threw the reins away and let him have a medium canter just off my seat. All considered Remy still worked very well. Judy had me count the strides in the 10m canter circles, and that really helps me being way more consistent if I know I should have zwoelf (12) strides (yes, I still count in German on autopilot, I guess it stuck that this is how I learned to count first, followed by English, French, Spanish, Japanese - but who's counting the languages?)


Bad news for Remy and Judy is that he has to wait until Thursday until I can get the "Rambo" to him. So for Judy's ride tomorrow Remy has to 'suffer' through another day wearing borrowed girly stuff  (bling and all).


Man up, Remy: The androgynous look is hip. And really, be happy that you don't also have to wear Bebe's pink boots!

No comments:

Post a Comment