Friday, March 17, 2017

"If I could get air ... I could ride.. perhaps even well"

Yesterday's ride was one big struggle to breathe. The arena was dusty and couldn't be watered due to the cold. My mask didn't let enough air through and I had to fight for every breath.


Remy was a trooper, even with my limited strength he soldiered on. I felt a really good collected trot and canter, and the canter half-passes were flowing. Even the flying changes were clean. But, man, it took about everything I had in me. Despite freezing temperatures my shirt and vest were soaked through and my helmet was soaking wet I struggled so hard to get air.


Quite frankly, I was thinking of just quitting. There is nothing wrong with just going on trailrides! Who needs this?? Remy really came through for me, that's for sure, and that's pretty amazing. But still, I had to hold on to him when I got off just to stay on my feet.


JP talked me off the ledge (figuratively, of course), but I'm still pondering "quo vadis*?" while I am looking at the snow outside my window. No trailriding weather either: Beam me up, Scottie!




*"Where am I going?"
"Quo vadis Domine" is Latin for "Where are you going, Lord?" and alludes to the apocryphal Acts of Peter, in which Peter flees Rome but on his way meets Jesus and asks him why he is going to Rome. Jesus says, "I am going back to be crucified again", which makes Peter go back to Rome and accept martyrdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment