Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Breathing through the Monday Morning Blues - and "You have to own it"

After last Thursday's lesson I was quite apprehensive about riding in the indoor today. I didn't want to have the same experience where I was gasping for air again. I'm not getting much sympathy (and I don't want sympathy anyway, I want a solution to the problem), but basically the consensus mirrors what the Allergist told me: "Why are you doing this to yourself? Just go somewhere else". Yep, sounds good - just one tiny little issue: There is NO JUDY somewhere else.


After a tentative start we got into the swing of things. Remy still had me work way too hard, IMHO. (Not in his!). He does suffer from a bad case of "Monday Morning Blues" (even if it's a Tuesday). I lucked out in that Judy asked Lisa, who was teaching at the other end of the arena, to open the large door. Yes! I was able to breathe through Remy's "Monday Morning Blues" and we ended on a good note.




Last night I caught part of "Dancing with the Stars" and a comment from the judge to one of the dancers keeps ringing in my ear: "You have to own it!" That really struck a chord with me. I can't compare myself and Remy with the majority of the clients at the barn, and I feel a bit like the odd person out. I'm often stressed from work, and fitting riding is not always a given. Just next week I'm leaving for Europe again, so no riding for 10 days. Remy is not a six-figure import, or even a five-figure one, but hey, he was imported from Montana!


So the comment about "owning it" really struck a chord: I have to own it that we are on our very own and individual path. Let's see what we have coming up: Obstacle course training, cow working, police horse work - in addition to nailing Third Level. Yep, we can own all of this and are darn proud of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment