Sunday, March 5, 2017

Is "a little late" already too late? - and just like an Eichhoernchen

And the quest for good changes continues - Remy was game, but he is tricky in that he only goes as well as he is ridden. Duh! No freebees in his playing cards.


I love it that he has such a good counter canter. That was my nemesis with Saumur, and one of the reasons why I was eager to get him to 3rd level - to be done with the counter canter.


Back to Remy: My frustration level mounted as I hadn't even finished the change when "LATE!" boomed through my headset. (Meaning his hind legs changed not at the same stride as the front). We graduated from "LATE" to "A little late". I jokingly asked Judy if "a little late" is like "a little pregnant"?? 


I got the hang of it better when Judy had us do counter canter with haunches clearly to the outside, keeping Remy straight, only my hands moving a sliver to the inside. "DO NOT BEND HIM TO THE INSIDE!" firmly admonished the voice in my ear. (As if - I'm too scared to dare ;-) ) Then ask for the change.


Voila: I graduated from "A little late" to "Clean but short". Muehsam ernaehrt sich das Eichhoernchen... (German saying -  "Laboriously the squirrel gathers its food", meaning the little critters have to work hard and long to gather and crack the nuts).

No comments:

Post a Comment