Saturday, January 7, 2012

Getting on a 'natural high' - No drugs required

Yesterday I had one of these rides where things just 'clicked', and when I got off Remy I felt completely 'high'. It is one of the best feelings when you work on something with your horse, you encounter obstacles, and then all of a sudden things fall into place and you feel harmony. Now, in this case, there was nothing special involved, no canter pirouettes, no changes -- just very simple: carry yourself, go on the bit, and stay there. One of the things I struggled with when I rode Remy the first time was the connection, he would grab the bit, carry his head high, and I felt at a loss (especially he didn't do it as much with Sally). So now that we are on the right path, it's just an awesome feeling.

One advantage of the long commute from the barn is that it gives me plenty of time to think. I was contemplating all the different things our horses taught and still teach me:

Crissy gave me complete confidence, she also taught me to be flexible in adjusting my expectations. She hated ring work, but loved to blaze the trails. We would go off alone for hours into the woods, galloping and cantering to our heart's content. Some of my fondest memories are the times when we galloped next to a train, with the conductor waving at us. Or going out in the forest after the first snow fall, running and jumping bareback. So what if she wasn't going to be a dressage star?

Saumur, with his heavy baggage, taught me PATIENCE, never to give up, and to believe in us. Nobody would have thought (me included) that he would go from spooking, bolting, and generally being more than challenging to earning the USDF Bronze Medal and now working 4th level. It also taught me to search for and then appreciate the right support system. "No" to negative people! We wouldn't be where we are now without the help of first Julie, and now Sandy. And I think I might have given up if JP wouldn't have been so unwavering in his support. No fun for a husband when the horse comes home alone, and the wife limps along an hour later, bruised and bloody!

Then there is Chambord, who busted my face and still owes my a nose job! He planted his hoof in my face, but he is a ham for JP. This one is about forgiveness, and yes, recognizing my own faults. The accident happened in part because I was careless. It is also clear that Chambord is a 'one man horse' and 'his man' unquestionable is JP.

Finally Remy, the 'happy baby' -- it's been over 20 years since I started Crissy as a 4 year old, so it's quite an adjustment. Luckily I know so much more now then I knew then, and I'm excited about the journey with Remy.

Looking at all of this: Keep your Prozac, people!

No comments:

Post a Comment