Sunday, January 15, 2012

Professionals have coaches - what about amateurs?

I was thinking about a comment a fellow rider made the other day. She said that as she takes less lessons she feels that she is riding better. Having less 'micro-management' helps her figuring things out on her own. Of course, I immediately questioned myself "what's wrong with me?" I certainly don't ride better if I go long without coaching/lessons.

A friend of mine is a psychiatrist and specializes in "Mind Coaching". She works with top executives helping them become the best they can be in a extremely demanding and cut throat 'dog eat dog' environment. The statement on her website reads "Professionals have coaches. Amateurs do not". I would beg to differ, but the message is that if you take something serious and you want to be the best you can be you need a coach.

There are plenty of people that are very self-sufficient, work independently and achieve amazing results. All that (aside from not always having the "amazing results") applies to my professional and personal life. I abhor to be micro-managed.

As a rider, though, I rely on the expert advise, eyes on the ground, and feedback of my instructor or clinician. While I don't enjoy the constant corrections (that I need) they make me a better rider. Should I feel bad about this 'perceived neediness'? Absolutely not! Every Olympic athlete has one or even several coaches; the vast majority of accomplished riders work with instructors and coaches. So, yes, I admit that I am 'somewhat needy' - but only when it comes to my riding (don't tell me what to do anywhere else!)

No comments:

Post a Comment