Tuesday, August 7, 2012

A pround and happy horse - and an interesting night

Saumur's lesson today built on yesterday's work. After he had time to loosen up we went to the 8m circles in the walk, making sure Saumur stretched over his back. Every time we crossed the centerline we changed directions. Then on to shoulder in, first in walk than in trot. The canter work focused on responsiveness: canter - walk, then canter - collected canter. Tricky to keep my leg active enough for Saumur to keep cantering, while bringing him back at the same time.

George worked on my position, asking me to put my shoulders back and also to pretend I weigh 300 pounds and putting that weight in the saddle (I tend to lighten my seat). OK, now that I've gained 180 pounds, things actually improved and we made nice progress. That set us up well for the canter half-passes. George reminded me to have Saumur's chest aim for the the letter.

The trot work consisted on first shoulder in, then medium trot - halt. From there: medium trot - collected trot - medium trot on the diagonal. Saumur started to become more and more responsive, keeping a very nice frame throughout. When we finished Saumur stuck quite the pose, he clearly was happy and proud of himself. What more could I have asked for?

On a different note, I had quite an interesting night. Around 12:30 a.m. I heard a commotion downstairs, horses calling, hooves clattering in the aisle way. What the heck - are the horses lose?? Is somebody trying to steal a horse?? Lacking a weapon to arm myself with I decided to nevertheless check what was going on, easing downstairs in flip flops and pj's, all the while thinking "should have brought my bear spray!". The lights were on and there was a person busy in a stall?! Turns out it was Caroline, the barn owner, turning horses out at night. She said she rotates everybody/s turnout so the stallions can go out, too. Her last rotation is around midnight. Now, that is dedication!

No comments:

Post a Comment