Monday, August 6, 2012

And we are off - to a good start

The day started slow and pleasant, and yes, I was fortified by Nutella and coffee. The boys were turned out early and came in around 11 a.m. because of the flies. I had time to groom, hand walk, and basically just hang out until my first lesson with Saumur.

Saumur was happy and relaxed in the unfamiliar arena, not a spook in sight. George had us start on the basics, 8 m circles in the trot from the center line, changing direction every time we crossed the center line. That helped make Saumur more supple. We worked on the trot - halt transitions, and then the canter - halt. Important was to get an immediate response. We also did canter half passes, and I was very happy when George noticed that they were much improved.

With Remy I had the best ride so far! We started in the walk on a large circle, George wanted me to really have Remy soften to my inside leg. He also showed me how to lay the whip against Remy's side to help with the bend. George made a point to explain that it is important for Remy to understand that the aids (including the whip) are his friends and nothing to be afraid of. He also cited famous German trainer Schumacher, stating that it is important that the horse relaxes ("lets fall") his head and neck "den Hals fallenlassen". Once we accomplished this in the walk we moved on to the trot. It also helped to add some counter flexing on the long side. We were able to trot all around the arena and on 20 m circles, on the bit, relaxed and happy! I was beaming.

So, now I am enjoying the peace and quiet in the apartment, having a Pilsner Urquell, and thinking how lucky I am to be here and to have this opportunity to not only train with one of the best but also to spend quality time with the boys, and to "just chill". (JP and my close friends will say the "just chill" part is the most important of all!).

No comments:

Post a Comment